At last those hazy summer days are finally starting to show up and I’m beyond ecstatic.
As much as I feel like this is the time to start that health kick I so desperately crave, I think more than that it’s the days of ice cream melting down your hand under the scorching summer sun that got me craving decadent sundaes in quirky jars – that’s what summer is really about.
I’m a huge fan of the very rich and delicious South African classic – the peppermintcrisp tart. It’s a fridge cake, a scrumptious pudd layered with tennis biscuits, a creamy caramel filling and crushed peppermintcrisp chocolate. Yum!
That is the inspiration behind this sundae:
Peppermintcrisp and Caramel Sundae:
1 x Tub of Vanilla Ice Cream – slightly softened
1x tin of Caramel/ Dulce de Luche
1x Peppermint crisp chocolate bar
1x packet of tennis biscuits or tea biscuits
* Optional melted chocolate to decorate.
1. Get yourself a glass jar or any glass you want to serve your sundae in.
2. Roughly crush biscuits and set aside in a bowl.
3. Grate your peppermint crisp and set that aside in a separate bowl too.
4. Next give the caramel a good mix so that it is nice and smooth and easy to work with.
5. Now it’s time to assemble. Add a scoop of ice-cream, using a spoon gently spread in around the base of your jar so it forms an even layer. On top of the ice cream add a layer of crushed biscuits, followed by a generous layer of caramel. Sprinkle a delicious layer of peppermint crisp in top of the caramel. Yum!
6. Repeat this process until your jar is full.
7. Pop your sundae back into the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes to give it a nice refreshing chill.
Now you can take a well-deserved break, find yourself a comfy spot to unwind and enjoy your sundae.